header uhlsport link

uhlsport football kit April 28 2018

Premier Division

Bracknell Town 8 Tuffley Rovers 0
They needed to score 10 goals but managed only eight.  Bracknell Town could hardly have made a bolder or more determined attempt to lift the Uhlsport Hellenic League title on a dramatic day at Larges Lane on Saturday. And they would surely have achieved it but for Dave Evans in the Tuffley Rovers goal. In his last game before retiring, the 30-year-old keeper pulled off a series of exceptional saves to deny Town the championship after they had produced a sensational display of attacking football.

It was, without any shadow of a doubt, a heroic performance by the Robins. Following their 7-1 win at Lydney last Thursday and Thatcham's 2-0 last-game victory against Brackley Town Saints, Town went into their final league match needing to win by a 10-goal margin as both sides would be locked together on 98 points and the same goal difference of 104. It looked a tall order, particularly as Bracknell had only won 2-1 at Tuffley two weeks earlier, but incredibly with home advantage and a noisy crowd roaring them on they had a real blast.

The Robins got off to a flying start and created three chances before taking a fourth-minute lead through Seb Bowerman, who turned home Joe Grant's cross. There were no prolonged goal celebrations, instead, the men in red raced back into their own half as they could not wait for the game to restart. After Carl Withers had needed three minutes of treatment after being chopped down by Warren Mann, Bowerman was not far away from scoring again, but Town did not have to wait long for their second goal as TJ Bohane scored in the 14th minute with a shot that went in off the post and almost immediately afterwards Adam Cornell added the third with an overhead kick.

It needed the first of Evans' top-quality saves to keep out a Carl Davies header, but a minute later the dream start continued as Cornell extended the lead to four. Bracknell supporters could hardly believe it and the Thatcham fans in the crowd of 292 must have started to fear the worst.
The Robins continued to threaten in virtually every attack, with Withers, Jamie McClurg, Joe Gater and Bohane all going close, while Town also forced a succession of corners.  Bohane hit the post before the referee spotted an infringement in the area, booked Evans, and awarded a penalty, which Bowerman dispatched by sending the goalie the wrong way. So at half-time Bracknell were halfway to their target and they even cut the interval short in order to get back on the pitch, although it was some three minutes before shell-shocked Rovers emerged from their dressing room.

And McClurg forced Evans into making another save before Grant blasted home the sixth goal after 49 minutes. Town must have thought they were on the verge of the title, even more so when Grant made it 7-0 on 65 minutes. Just prior to that, Bohane had been thwarted by a brilliant save from Evans. Although the intensity of their attacks did slow down for a short time, Grant missed a good chance, while Bohane hammered a shot against the underside of the crossbar when faced with an open net. 

Player-manager Carl Davies moved upfield to make it a five-man attack and it was he who scored his side's eighth goal, but time was now running out and Town were unable to add to their tally in the six minutes of stoppage time. So there was bitter disappointment for Bracknell, who for the second year running had seen their title hopes dashed in their final game. Unlike last season, however, they will be promoted..

After 38 games, the margin between title contenders Bracknell and Thatcham could hardly have been closer, but the fact the Robins managed to take only one point off their rivals suggests the teams finished in the right order in the final placings. The 1-1 draw with Thatcham last October were the only two points dropped by Town at Larges Lane this season. After the game, Bowerman was announced as the supporters' player of the season, with Davies the runner-up and Grant third. Bracknell were also the best-supported club in the league by some distance, in fact, their average attendance is among the highest in the whole of Step 5 in the country.


Lydney Town 0 Windsor 2 (away view)
A Matty Woods double on 60 and 63 minutes helped Windsor FC secure eighth place in their first season in the Hellenic League. If it had not been the final Saturday of the season the match would have certainly been postponed, credit to both sides who went out and got on with the match in very poor conditions. The home side spent all morning clearing the surface water to make the pitch playable. Windsor had the majority of possession and were deserving of the three points.

One East

Virginia Water 5 Thame Rangers 1
An excellent way to end a memorable season with a good win against an entertaining Thame side, that to be fair deserved more for their footballing style and play.

Waters made a number of changes to the starting line-up, and after a slow first quarter, when the visitors deserved to go ahead (thwarted by two terrific saves by Matt and the crossbar), got into their rhythm when Steve Williams headed home from a corner on 21 minutes.

A few chances came and went for both sides, but the important second goal came on 43 minutes when Ryan Curtis put Adam McNamara through, who hit home a great first time shot into the bottom corner.

The second half was as open and quick as the first, with Thame constantly threatening to spoil the party, with their numbers 7, 9 and 10 particularly impressive.

Against the run of play on 63 minutes, Adam scored his second with a long shot from the edge of the area. Soon after Ryan got in on the act with two well taken goals of his own.
To Thame’s credit they refused to lie down, and after hitting the bar once again, got their consolation late on, which is the least they deserved for such an excellent contribution to a good game of football.

The result rounded off a terrific season for the home side, which saw them win back to back titles and reach the quarter finals of both the Floodlit and Challenge Cup. We can all look forward to a short break before it’s back to the daunting business of competing in the Uhlsport Hellenic Premier League.

Well done and thank you to all who have supported us this season.

Wokingham & Emmbrook 5 Aldermaston 0 (Report by Arthur Strand)
The last league game of the season at Lowther Road welcomed Aldermaston who were modestly placed about third from bottom in the table As the game settled down, Wokingham moved forward from midfield and soon found the Aldermaston area, where Chris Newlove just missed the target, A counter attack took Aldermaston to the opposite end of the field and Alex Badshah took a gamble with an unsuccessful header. His team mate, Liam Tackley did not waste time cracking the ball over Sean Woodward's crossbar. Aldermaston plugged away and a long, rolling grubber went through the middle but, by the time it reached Woodward, it had lost steam. Dan Carter collected the ball and hurtled along the right wing until he sent a long range cross into the centre conveniently for, Matt Desay, visiting keeper, to deal with. For a short while Wokingham could not quite assert themselves until Dan Carter hit the ball over the crossbar. The next Sumas' foray was stopped by an infringement and a free kick to Aldermaston. A clash near the penalty area gave Aldermaston a chance at goal. Lee Wheeler's shot went wide of the upright. Aldermaston then put through a long ball from near the centre circle but the chasing players could not keep pace with it. The tables could have turned when Wokingham took a free kick but Aldermaston regained the ball and Sean Woodward had an easy save to make. As half time approached, Will Day who had been struggling was replaced by Josh Harris. The score line read 0 - 0 at the break.

Straight after the break, Sam Lawrence headed home a long right wing cross at the far post which must have knocked back Aldermaston in the 46th minute. A couple of phases later, they had approached the Sumas' area but the latter gained a free kick after a foul. In the 58th minute, Ben Broadhurst added a second from close in to give Sumas a cushion with half an hour or so to go. Wokingham defenders were mostly preoccupied with getting the ball away from the area when Aldermaston countered. From a corner kick, which Aldermaston headed out, Chris Byrne crashed the ball against the crossbar. Tackley made his presence felt when he shot low on target, forcing Sean Woodward to dive A hand-ball from a funny bounce by the ball gave Wokingham a free kick. Sam Lawrence tapped in the 3rd on the 70th minute and at the other end, after restart, Lee Wheeler's free kick was well on target, central, but Sean Woodward stretched himself vertically to tip the ball over his crossbar. The ensuing corner kick sent the ball into the box and the ball was released into less populated surroundings, Sumas escaped. As the 74th minute ticked by, Dan Carter found himself in a position to add the fourth goal. Aldermaston could have tried harder to score but Wokingham defenders kept the back line clear of goal attempts. At the opposite end, Wokingham saw one fly over the Aldermaston bar. With not long left for play, Ben Broadhurst forced a fine save from Matt Desay. Finally, George Marsh, running in with plenty of space had an easy shot to make it 5 well into additional time.


One West

Easington Sports 3 Letcombe 5 (away view)
Easington Sports needed a win to secure second place in the league, but `party poopers` Letcombe fought for 90 minutes to deny them victory. Easington started well, with crosses causing the visitors problems, and Ben Milner gave them the lead with a powerful header from a corner after only 8 minutes. Letcombe gradually came more into the game, and they equalised mid-way through the half. Brad Paglioroli was sent clear on the right, but he cut back inside and drove a low shot inside the near post. Letcombe took the lead with five minutes of the half remaining after good work on the left by Paglioroli and Zach Pettifer, whose cross was pushed away by home keeper Adam Rimmer, only to see Iggy Ilott drive the loose ball into the net. The visitors increased their lead in first half added time when Luke Mulvey was fouled, and Adam Bruce converted the resulting penalty via both uprights.

As expected, Easington threw players forward in the second half, and Letcombe keeper Charlie McCready reacted quickly to block a shot from substitute Michael Spaull in the opening minutes of the half. They were awarded a penalty soon afterwards when Ben Hummel was adjudged to tripped a forward, but McCready dived to his left to save Callum Convey`s spot kick. An attempted cross from Pettifer hit the Easington bar on the hour, and two minutes later home keeper Rimmer came quickly off his line to deny Adam Bruce. Letcombe increased their lead with 20 minutes remaining, skipper Andy Goodchild getting a firm header to a Paglioroli corner, although the ball took a slight touch off Adam Bruce before going into the far top corner. Luke Mulvey scored number 5 with a deflected shot with 18 minutes left to play, but Easington refused to accept defeat. Charlie Hill reduced the arrears with a low shot from close range which crept inside the far post, and Reece Bayliss added a third from the penalty spot with 10 minutes remaining. Easington pushed forward in search of the three goals they still needed, but the Letcombe defence remained solid, with Sam Mulvey and Andy Goodchild commanding at its heart. Charlie Hill was sent off for Easington for a second yellow card as full time approached, but their players and officials deserve credit for the way they conducted themselves after the game despite their obvious disappointment, congratulating Letcombe on their performance.

New College Swindon 4 Tytherington Rocks 1 (away view)
Playing their final game of the season Rocks got off to a good start when they were awarded a penalty after five minutes, well taken by Richmond Duah who shot firmly to the right of the home keeper to put them one up.

The lead only lasted for five minutes before New College equalized when a shot from the right squirmed under keeper Callum Atkinson, the home side continued to put Rocks defence under pressure and scored two more goals in the last ten minutes of the first half to put the home side firmly in charge.

Rocks started the second half putting the home side under pressure with Jim Brock (the first local born Tytherington player to captain the Rocks for over 24years) playing in midfield causing problems for the home side with his ability to win and run with the ball at the home defenders along side Luke Franklin, however gradually College got back on the attack and only great defending by Jordan Walker, Shakiel Barrett and Tom Brock who having played in midfield in the first half was now playing at centre back and was made man of the match by the opposition kept the score down until ten minutes before the end when a tremendous shot from outside the penalty box by Maz Robertson flew past keeper Atkinson to make the final score 4 -1.

All the players gave 100% for the Rocks and despite having many set backs during the season never gave up.

With the season over we would like to place on record our grateful thanks to Twanda (Jay) Kujeke for taking on the role as manager at short notice in September and managing to get a squad to meet the clubs commitment for the remainder of the season, Jay along with 90% of the team are all students at The University of Worcester and that meant even getting to our home games a round journey of 106 miles.

Two East

Chalfont Wasps Reserves 0 Chalvey Sports 4
Wasps final senior match of the season against title chasing Chalvey Sports at The Nest was a lively encounter that warmed those involved on a damp and chilly afternoon.

Despite Wasps started with ten men things were pretty even for the first 14 minutes until Chalvey got their first when their centre back slotted home unmarked from a corner. During the next 15 mins Chalvey put a couple of chances wide and Wasps Coree King and captain Joe Drummond had half chances on the break. Chalvey hit a couple of tame long rangers before Wasps were up to full complement with the arrival of Ryan Forbes. However, Chalvey kept up the pressure and netted twice more before the interval.

The second period started a few minutes late as the Ref forgot his whistle, much to the amusement of everyone, especially the boisterous visiting crowd. It was 0-4 after 55 minutes. Wasps stand in keeper Michael Green made a good double stop and Wasps battled valiantly to deny any change to the score board. The match was played in a great competitive spirit throughout, to the backdrop of a good crown atmosphere and thus provided an entertaining season ending fixture. 



Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator