header uhlsport link

22 December

Puhlsport football kitremier Division

Brimscombe & Thrupp 2 Flackwell Heath1
Brimscombe & Thrupp went into Saturday’s game in a decent run of form, winning 5 of their last 7 games losing just the once. The visitor’s were in form as well winning 4 from their last 7 and drawing the other 3.

It was a pleasant afternoon down the Meadow and it was a heavyweight footballing match-up and it certainly lived up to it.

Brimscombe drew the first blood when last week’s hat-trick hero, Kyle Pitts, was found alone at the back post and turned the ball home before 5 minutes. ‘Heathens’ settled themselves down with both teams moving the ball around in search for the net. Neither team found it before the first 45 was up so the host’s led at the break.

The visitors brought on Adam Thomas in the second half and they should be thankful they did, with the free-kick whipped into the box, Thomas found his headed effort pass Ash Gale to level the two teams with 15 minutes of the game left. The clock was ticking down and it looked like it would be a point shared but Jack Horrell buried it away with 2 minutes of the 90 left sending the Lilywhites’ players and supporters in to raptures.

Longlevens 0 Brackley Town Saints 1 (away view)
After an inactive couple of weeks Saints visited lowly Longlevens anticipating a tough afternoon on the back of Levens having secured good victories in their last two games. The enforced layoff did mean that a number of injured players were fit again and Manager Gordon Kille had almost his full squad fit and available, with central half’s Goddard and Middleton both returning to the starting line-up and with the influential Lewis Baldwin reverting to midfield.

The early exchanges were scrappy on a bobbly Pitch. James Watts showed early intent with a left foot shot which was easily gathered by the home keeper. Although Saints were dominating possession Levens were quick to break but did not manage to test Worby. Ollie Goddard was having an immediate impact on his return and needed to be on his toes to thwart the Levens centre forward when he appeared to be moving clear.

After 20 minutes Saints created their first goal scoring opportunity when a probing cross from George Ball found Harry Brock but he was not able to get solid contact on his volley. Ten minutes later Saints came close when Hammond broke free from midfield and set Kille free down the left wing and his wicked cross only just eluded the onrushing Knight and Hammond. On the stroke of half time Hammond split the defence with a slide rule pass that found Knight unmarked on the edge of the penalty box but his right foot shot was powerful but too high. Saints had dominated possession but were nearly caught cold when the Levens full back scooped an inviting cross over the bar when well placed.

At half time Kille shuffled the pack bringing on Josh Bowden to replace Curtis Green.  On 53 minutes Saints took the lead. It was a brilliant yet somewhat fortunate goal. It started with some great defending from Dan Middleton who was yet again well positioned to sweep up. He played the ball back to Worby who had the confidence to immediately set Brock away. Brock ran purposefully through midfield before looking to release Ball, however his pass deflected in the opposite direction and into path of Ryan Knight who did not hesitate and finished calmly past the helpless keeper.

On 57 minutes there was an unfortunate melee in centre field involving many of the players and resulting in a couple of bookings. It strangely seemed to galvanise Levens who had a period of 20 minutes where they pressed the Saints hard. But the defence and Worby looked very comfortable and increasingly Saints looked very dangerous on the break.

On 76 minutes Saints nearly doubled the lead when following a great move from a throw in Hammond and Ball played a neat one two and Ball squared to the unmarked Knight whose side footed shot rolled agonisingly past the post. In a frantic last 10 minutes Bowden tested the keeper who saved well down to his left. The Levens centre forward had a bullet header over the bar and shot straight at Worby. Knight then set Hammond free down the left wing and his cross just eluded Bowden. That was it and Saints picked up a deserved 3 points to move them back to the top of the league. A thoroughly mature performance, some super defending and as always with Saints some cracking attacking play.
Saints: Worby, Green (Bowden 45), Brock, Middleton, Watts, Baldwin, Hammond, Knight, Goddard, Ball, Kille (Whitmore 85) Subs not used: March, Godfrey

Lydney Town 3 Ascot United 3 (away view)
Ascot United fought back from a goal down three times to draw at Lydney Town. Luqman Kassim’s brace had cancelled out the hosts’ first and second goals, but it was a deflected effort from Dan Price that sealed the 3-3 draw and maintained the Yellamens’ unbeaten streak.

Lewis Halford opened the scoring for Lydney by slipping the ball past Lee Allen early-on, although Ascot were on terms midway through the half when Kassim headed home from a pinpoint Jonny Denton cross.

The parity lasted just four minutes as Lydney soon regained the lead through Declan Morley-Lyne, and although both Nathan Minhas and Price had chances to level matters before the break, it was the hosts who led.

The second half was another eventful affair, as Kassim bagged his second two minutes after the restart following good work by Geoff Kibaki; parity restored for a second time.

And, it was a case of deja-vu as the home side retook the lead with barely four minutes elapsed once again, Frankie Johnson the scorer.

The Yellamen, however, pushed forwards in search of a third equaliser and after Fabien Etienne, Minhas and Harry Laflin had all had chances, it was Price who levelled matters with a quarter of an hour remaining.

There was still time for Kibaki to see a long-range strike well saved, although defender Chris Ellis cleared off the line to deny the home side what would surely have been a killer fourth.

Ascot United: Allen, Kibaki, Denton, Carlisle (Haworth), F Etienne, Ellis, Laflin (Lock), Sankoh, Kassim, Minhas, Price. Subs unused: Sullivan, Lalustani, JC Etienne

Virginia Water 5 Abingdon United 0
Waters stormed to a second successive win and their best at Step 5, with a dominant performance against a plucky Abingdon side who never stopped playing good football throughout.

Indeed the visitors had the better of the early exchanges, before VW found their feet. Jake Baker and Lorenzo (Lenny) Di Felice both went close within the first quarter, before a sweeping move on 19 minutes saw Lenny run on to a cross field ball and smash into the bottom corner.

From that moment on, the home side gradually took command of the game, and increased their lead on 31 minutes, when a short corner put Lenny in, to see his shot saved and the rebound hit in by Scott Jackson. The excellent Michael Chambers then saw his header drift narrowly wide. With Waters defence rock solid, Matt was forced into a terrific save soon after our second, and equally their keeper made a couple of great saves of his own to deny Liam Whyte and Lenny yet again.

The second half started at a high pace, and thankfully it was the home side who put the game beyond reach, when Scott squared a ball for Jamie Read to slot home his customary goal a game on 53 minutes. Further goals came with a penalty by Scott on 61 minutes, after Jamie was brought down in the box, and then Louis popped up on 79 minutes to hit a 25 yarder into the bottom corner.

Despite some pressure on the home goal, the defence deservedly held on for a clean sheet, whilst at the other end, we could have added a couple more with Adam McNamara, Harrison Duff and Joe McBride all going close on a number of occasions. A good day’s work for the lads, ahead of the Boxing Day derby with Windsor.

Division One West

Newent Town 1 Kidlington Development 5 (Away View)
A depleted Kidlington Development made the most of Cheltenham Saracens match being postponed by winning this entertaining match against Newent Town. The 5-1 win took them back to the top of Uhlsport Division One West on goal difference. Kidlington's team was made up of seven players who were 20 years old or younger but it was the experienced striker, Jimmy Deabill who was the hero with a fantastic hatrick. Newent's Donan Colling put the home side in front deservedly early in the first half and Newent looked the brighter of the two sides. Deabill scored the first of his hatrick when he scored a bullet header from Callum Rice's corner. After 40 minutes the imprsessive young midfielder Rice was again the provider, beating two men before feeding Deabill who shot high into the net.

The second half started with Newent the most likely team to score. Kidlington were struggling to contain there fast counter attacks but Deabill eventually scored after 70 minutes when he scored at the third attempt from close range. Following this the match was a bit of a coast for the away side. 20 year old winger, Denilson Si;va who was recently signed from Leighton Town scored with a fantastic low shot on 80 minutes and the match was over as a contest. Then in the 89th minute Kidlingtons other young winger Jack Gaul crossed for the impressive Silva to poke the ball over the line. Kidlington returned back home with three points from a difficult away trip. The hospitality and warm welcome afforded by the Gloucestershire club needs a mention. It is plainly obvious that Newent have put in a lot of effort to build such a cracking little ground.

Division Two East

Chinnor Reserves 0 Virginia Water Development 6 (away view)
Both teams exprienced difficulty trying to play on an overplayed pitch, early chances from Virginia Water with the best falling to Liam Shannahan, only for him to slip at the vital time. 

Maciej Tajs took a gamble, breaking away and away squaring a ball to Liam Hill to tap in and make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Maciej once again broke awaywith a square pass allowing Scott Ancell to tap in for 2-0 with 35 minutes gone. Ancell repaid Maciej Tajs setting him up for his first of the game on 44 minutes.

Quick start to the second half from Waters with Maciej Tajs putting in their fourth goal two minutes from the re-start.

Substitute Gent Peci  linked onto a great pass from Liam Hill to make it 5-0 on 72 minutes. Scott Ancell finished the goal tally on 78 minutes with his second of the game.

Copyright © 2004 Hellenic Football League & Pat Horsman - All rights reserved . Web Policy - Free Sitemap Generator