uhlsport is a German sporting goods manufacturer
Faringdon Town News

Bourton Rovers 1 Faringdon Town 3 - 15 July

Town travelled to Radcot Road, the home of Clanfield (85) FC to face Bourton Rovers in the Quarter Final of the Jim Newman Memorial Cup on Saturday. With Bourton now a uhlsport Hellenic Division 1 side and Town languishing in the lower half of Division 2, this was expected to be a stern test for the new management team and squad.

Town introduced a number of new signings for the fixture, Joe Hoskins and Dan Reidy filled the full-back positions, whilst Luke Davenport was placed in the holding midfield role. Town also had A Triallist looking to impress at the heart of the Town defence.

From the opening moments, Town impressed with their work rate off the ball and ability to always have a man available to receive the ball. This worked Bourton Rovers hard and midway through the first half Town took the lead, when Matty Pill kept his cool to finish left footed. Town did create a couple of half chances, but were unable to double their lead and as the half came to a close, a simple ball over the top found the run of the Rovers striker who calmly finished under the advancing Chris Brain, who was helping the club out for the day between the sticks.

Second half and Town continued to assert pressure and managed to extend their lead from a well worked move which Dan Hoskins finished from close range. As the half went on, the long grass was sapping both sides energy, but the tempo was excellent and a credit to all the players from both clubs. Then with twenty minutes remaining Hoskins grabbed his second and Town's third with another well taken goal and the victory was secured. Rovers did push hard in the closing moments, but Town stood firm and Brain wasn't tested in the Town goal.

A great squad performance, good movement and nicely created goals, saw Town progress into the semi-final on Tuesday 16th July, against host club Clanfield (85), 7.30pm kick off. A positive start to the new regime.